V2 > v3: Importing log message files hangs

Ventura 13.5.2 Mac Mail 16.0
Import From SpamSieve 2 > Importing log message files (Step 2 of 6) hangs - won’t progress past 0 of 879. Have to force quit and hang starts all over again… Help please!

After force quitting, you could quit the app and try again with Import log entries and accuracy statistics unchecked so that it skips the step that got stuck.

Or, to help track down what’s causing the hang, you could record a sample log and send that to me along with the App Log.log file.

Thanks for the quick reply! Let it run all night and it seems to have resolved on its own and is working. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just upgrading here. The program started importing log entries several hours ago, and it now says that it’s imported 200,000 of 2,374,467 and gives an estimated time of “about 1 day, 5 hours, 7 minutes, and 45 seconds.”

I do get a lot of junk mail, but does the program really need that much data? Does having that much data in the log slow down the program–and my computer in the process?

What kind of Mac do you have? For that amount of data I would expect it to take more like double-digit minutes, not more than a day, unless you are using a spinning hard drive. (And even then the estimate seems extreme.)

No, it’s not needed for filtering e-mails, just to show you the statistics and the history of what happened with each message (which some people like to see) and to enable potential reporting of interesting information in future versions. You could stop the import, relaunch the app, and tell it to skip importing the log if you want.

More data is always slower. I wouldn’t expect to notice a difference if you have an SSD, though. If you do import everything, I have features planned to intelligently prune data to keep the storage use down. But it’s only possible to do that if the data is imported from version 2 in the first place. So for 3.0 the focus was on preserving everything.

I’m using a 2017 iMac with a 3 GHz quad-core i5 processor and a mechanical hard drive, running Ventura 13.5.2.

This morning, the import was only half done, so I aborted the import and re-started the program, skipping the import as you suggested. Clicking on the little “x” in the import box didn’t work, so I had to force quit SpamSieve.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and thanks for SpamSieve!

Glad that you were able to get it working after that. But if anyone else sees this, please record a sample log before force quitting so that we can see why the import got stuck. This is a rare issue so we don’t have much data yet as to what’s causing it.

I think this is fixed in SpamSieve 3.0.1b1.