Yosemite 10.10.2 - All mail going to Junk

All Spam going to Junk
Same issue here in the last week since upgrading to 10.10.2.

I am not savvy enough to install or run scripts. Is there any other solutions for SpamSieve users?

Thanks,
bb99

What is the problem that you are trying to solve? If you just want all your spam to be in the same mailbox (whether it was caught by SpamSieve or iCloud’s filter) you could follow the Consolidating Spam Under the Special Junk Mailbox instructions.

iCloud is now filtering to the Junk folder most mail that used to be caught by SS. This includes mail that is already been trained as good by SS. I don’t know how to use scripts and would like to know if there is now, or will be a workaround so I can use only SS.

Thanks

Since the iCloud junk filter is not configurable, the only way to prevent it from doing this is to switch to a different mail host.

There are two ways that SpamSieve can find those good messages in the Junk mailbox:

1. You install the Apple Mail - Server Junk Mailbox script, and it checks the Junk mailbox automatically.
  2. You (periodically) drag the messages from the Junk mailbox to the inbox, select the messages, and choose Apply Rules from the Message menu.

I have three Junk Mailboxes in Apple Mail (for three different accounts), but am unable to select any of them when trying to Consolidate. The only selection available is the Spam folder created for SS, all others are “shadowed.”

When you say “select,” which step are you trying to follow?

These — http://c-command.com/spamsieve/help/why-does-the-junk-mail, with emphasis on the Consolidation section.

Which step number? The more specific you can be about what you are doing and seeing, the easier it will be to help you.

Am I too late to join the party???

+1 on the same issue happening to me . . . I thought I was losing my mind, trying to figure out what I changed. I did a couple of checks in the “wayback machine” ala Sherman & Peabody (i.e. Apple Time Machine) to see if there was something I might have altered. This issue popped up, out-of-the-blue, just as others have said. I thought maybe if I just deleted the junk folder, it would resolve the issue - no such luck. I also selected then de-selected the Apple Junk Mail filter but now I have an additional folder labeled “Junk” on my iCloud account.

Its readily apparent that Apple must have tweaked some setting to cause this glitch in the system.

Curious to see how it all works out.

I think SpamSieve is an awesome product! Even though I now have an extra step to perform I feel that SpamSieve is top notch for culling all the worthless nonsense that would normally clutter my inbox on a daily basis. Kudos to Michael Tsai and team!!!

I’ve added a new Consolidating Spam From Multiple Filters section to the manual that explains and summarizes are a lot of the issues from this thread.

Thanks!!!

99 Emails in Apple Junk - 4 in SpamSieve Spam folder
I still don’t understand why this is happening. In the past week I have had 99 emails go into the Apple Mail “Junk” folder and only 4 go into the SpamSieve “Spam” folder. You might think, “It’s Spam and it doesn’t matter where it gets picked up as spam, as long as it winds up in a Spam Folder…”. However, for the first several months all of the mail I have trained in Spam Sieve was going into the SpamSieve Spam folder. I could easily go into one place and determine if I wanted to Save or Delete an email. If I wound up saving multiple emails, I could re-train with SpamSieve as Not-Spam with a key command and the mail would go back to my in-box. Now that the email is only going into my Apple Mail Junk folder (Which is turned Off in the Mail Preferences) I can not re-train any of the spam.

I appear to be stuck checking two spam folders (The Vast Majority of which is being forwarded into the Apple Junk folder) which is taking me longer than it did when I was only working with Spam Sieve.

How did the Apple Servers learn what I had selected as Spam with SpamSieve??? Many of the emails were user generated from websites and stores, but I chose to mark them as Spam. Normally Apple Mail would allow these emails through so they could be managed by SpamSieve. How & Why did that change???

Apple’s server junk filter used to miss a lot of spam messages. Now it catches more.

Did you see the options on this page?

When you train a message as spam with SpamSieve, it also marks the message as junk on the server. I’m not sure whether Apple’s filter actually pays attention to this. It may simply be that their filter is now more aggressive overall. I’ve also, unfortunately, heard of it trapping more good messages.

The filter parameters now being used by iCloud have rendered Spam Sieve nearly useless. I have had extensive communication with Apple Support and while they have been helpful, the only current solution is to use the Junk filter in Mail preferences. This, combined with the new iCloud settings, has recognized almost all of the same spam that SS was capturing, and with some training I expect it to be a satisfactory solution.

Why do you say that? As I mentioned, there are a variety of ways that you can still get all your spam to go to one place. And if you want to set up a script, you can even have SpamSieve find the good messages that iCloud’s filter mistakenly put in the Junk mailbox.

I recently traded in my iMac for a new one, getting Yosemite in the new one. Immediately the SpamSieve seemed to go haywire. But I was busy and just kept re-training the good ones that showed up in Junk and re-training the bad ones that showed up in Junk, and moving good ones from Junk to Inbox, and thinking oh this is just awful. Finally this morning I got onto the tech support page and found the discussion about Yosemite and the Junk folder. What’s been very good, and seems to have solved everything, is to follow the Instructions for Manually Refiltering the Junk Mailbox. I started doing that about two hours ago and it is all working just fine. (Nor do I miss all the really grotty spam that iCloud seems to be deleting for me. So far nothing I wanted has been deleted by them, or I have heard of nothing. …)

I’ve been using the Apple Mail Junk filter for a week and it is performing as well as SpamSieve. I’ve added all mail deemed good to my contacts, and added a rule to always move those in contacts to inbox. New junk mail needs only be trained once. YMMV.

SpamSieve “Spam” folder catching Spam again
Since I took the time to report all of my Spam was going into the “Junk” folder instead of the SpamSieve folder earlier in this thread, I thought I should report back that for the past several days all of my Spam is now showing up in the SpamSieve “Spam” folder and the Apple Mail “Junk” folder is remaining empty.

I added the Apple Mail - Server Junk Mailbox Apple Mail script to Automatically apply SpamSieve rules to unread messages in server Junk mailboxes - so that appears to be working as expected.