Error finding inboxes to check with SpamSieve 3.0.1b2

The log repeats the message below every couple of minutes, but SpamSieve perfectly sorts out and moves out spam from the two inboxes where there is normally spam. In the other inboxes there is so little, if any, spam so I would not know if they were not being checked.

2023-10-14 07:21:14.017 [com.c-command.SpamSieve] [com.c-command.spamsieve.apple-mail.filter-inboxes] (-10000) Error finding inboxes to check: Mail drabbades av ett fel: AppleEvent-hanteraren misslyckades.
2023-10-14 07:23:21.582 [com.c-command.SpamSieve] [com.c-command.spamsieve.apple-mail.filter-inboxes] (-10000) Error finding inboxes to check: Mail drabbades av ett fel: AppleEvent-hanteraren misslyckades.
2023-10-14 07:25:29.330 [com.c-command.SpamSieve] [com.c-command.spamsieve.apple-mail.filter-inboxes] (-10000) Error finding inboxes to check: Mail drabbades av ett fel: AppleEvent-hanteraren misslyckades.

One more thing. The two inboxes where it works are also the largest ones,

I moved this to a new thread because this error is from the Check inboxes for new messages not sent to Mail extension feature, which is separate from Select Mailboxes to Filter…. I will try to improve this error message so that you can see which account it pertains to. But probably nothing to worry about if your messages are being filtered.

Hej again!

Is it possible that the update to 3.0.1b3 has stopped the “select mailboxes to filter” option for large inboxes from working. No spam is now filtered. Is there now a in a limit on number of messages so that I have to move messages? See log messages below.

Best, Johan

2023-10-18 16:46:24.163 [com.c-command.SpamSieve] [com.c-command.spamsieve.apple-mail.filter-inboxes] (-12345) Skipping filtering inbox of account “Hotmail jswahn (privat)” because it contains too many messages: 24956. Try moving some old messages to a different mailbox.

2023-10-18 16:57:28.266 [com.c-command.SpamSieve] [com.c-command.spamsieve.apple-mail.filter-other-mailboxes] (-12346) Skipping filtering messages in mailbox “INBOX” because it contains too many messages: 84883. Try moving some old messages to a different mailbox.

Yes, there is now a built-in limit of 10,000 messages for Filter spam messages in other mailboxes, because some people were selecting really huge mailboxes, which could cause Mail to slow down or freeze, and then they couldn’t access Mail and didn’t know why. If you think your Mac can handle a larger mailbox, you can go to the esoteric preferences and change the MailboxesOutlineRedMessageCountThreshold.

Thanks! I have changed to 100 000 as I have ≈85 000 in the largest inbox. Spam is filtered again. I have a 2022 16" Macbook Pro and I do not notice any difference in performance after then change. But I certainly understand an older Mac may need a limit.

A detail. The large inboxes are for me marked in orange, not red, in the “select mailboxes to filter” option.

Good to know, thanks.

I think this is because you changed the red threshold. Anything between the orange threshold (5,000) and the red threshold will be shown in orange.

With SpamSieve 3.0.2b1 there is no more limit needed because it’s able to filter large mailboxes without slowing down Mail.

Thanks! I did still have some problems after our last exchange, but now SpamSieve works flawlessly in the background again. Excellent work and support! Best regards, Johan

1 Like