SpamSieve 3.0.2b1 Public Beta

Here’s a new beta version of SpamSieve. The changes are:

• Apple Mail filtering is much faster and is no longer limited by the number of messages in a mailbox.
    • This applies to the Check inboxes for new messages not sent to Mail extension, Filter spam messages in other mailboxes, and Add green flag to unread good messages features.
    • To enable the faster filtering, make sure that you have granted SpamSieve Full Disk Access. Without Full Disk Access, SpamSieve will still work, but in some cases it will be slower or report an error if a mailbox contains too many messages.
    • If you haven’t granted Full Disk Access, but SpamSieve thinks you would benefit from doing so, it will show a warning help link in the Settings ‣ Apple Mail ‣ Setup window.
    • This optimization currently requires macOS 13 Ventura or later. (Customers using earlier versions of macOS don’t need it because they can use the Mail plug-in.)
    • When fast filtering is available, SpamSieve now defaults to checking for new messages every 5 seconds instead of every minute, and the Select Mailboxes to Filter… sheet will no longer show large mailboxes in orange or red.
  • Tried to fix a rare bug where the training hot keys didn’t work in Apple Mail or Outlook, perhaps related to using a Greek keyboard layout. If you are still seeing this problem, please send us a diagnostic report.
  • The Mail extension no longer sets the background color at all on spam message if coloring is off.
  • The Uncertain spam messages notification is now disabled by default.

If you have not installed a beta version of SpamSieve before, first click here to enter the beta key. Thereafter, you can just launch SpamSieve or choose Software Update from the SpamSieve menu to auto-install the beta. SpamSieve will also notify you about future betas automatically. You can click here to stop receiving in-app notifications of beta versions.

This just wiped out all the green flags I’ve been using. The emails are still there, just the flags have gone. Not cool.

Sorry about that. I think there’s a bug where the new fast filtering will clear green flags on read messages even if Add green flag to unread good messages is not enabled. You can work around that by removing SpamSieve from Full Disk Access, and this will be fixed in the next beta soon.

Thanks for the speedy feedback Michael. I’m humbled. I accept this is beta. Yes, this appears to have just kicked in with the latest beta 3.0.2b1. Yes, the green flag option is off here. Any green flags in other folders don’t appear to have been touched which makes sense, so I can use another color in the meantime. (I wish Apple had custom flag color options tbh). Perhaps (longer term) Spamsieve can be configured to allow user the choice of which flag color to use for this purpose. thx!

I think this is fixed in SpamSieve 3.0.2b2.

Perhaps, though it’s tricky because there are other colors that are used for other purposes (currently gray and orange; and users commonly use red). Is there a particular color you’d want instead of green?

Confirmed b2 fixed it for me.

As I don’t use the ‘green flag’ feature, I have no preference. If I did want to use it I’d simply prefer the flexibility of being able to use any color I’m not already visually conditioned to use. (Blue would probably be my preferred alt., but you’ll likely have a 1000 folks saying no to blue, ad nauseam.)

Thanks for the speedy fix.
I’ve been using SpamSieve for some 5yrs now and couldn’t be happier with the benefit this software provides!

1 Like

There’s a bug in 3.0.2b1 and b2 where the Log window will sometimes show an error:

You can either grant SpamSieve Full Disk Access in “System Settings ‣ Privacy & Security” or move some old messages to a different mailbox.

even when you have granted Full Disk Access. This is fixed in SpamSieve 3.0.2b3.