How do you use EaglerFiler Michael?

This is maybe a too personal question @Michael_Tsai, I won’t be offended if you refuse to answer or give details :slight_smile:.

The question may have been asked already, but I did not find it in the forum.

How do you use EagleFiler? Have you complex workflows around EaglerFiler?

And I also wonder if you use EaglerFiler for handling your blog posts? If not, what is your workflow for capturing articles, highlighting interesting parts and linking to the original post?

1 Like

I thought I had a post here about which libraries I have and what I use them for, but I can’t seem to find it. Would writing that up be helpful? I don’t think I do anything very complex.

I have one library that I use to capture interesting articles and key paragraphs, tweets, notes that aren’t for publication, etc. This is more to have a local, searchable copy (since so many things disappear or change) than to do the writing and linking.

That’s all done in MarsEdit where I keep a large number of drafts for posts and updates, with “tags” in the title to help find them. I have a bunch of scripts to help. MarsEdit is not really designed for this, and I don’t think I have a particularly great system, but I like it better than my old way of using separate apps for collecting/organizing and writing. I try to capture (using the bookmarklet) everything that I want to link to directly into the appropriate draft.

The other place where EagleFiler helps is in finding old posts that I want to reference. Google is not always great for this, and MarsEdit has limited browsing/searching, so I have an EagleFiler library that stores my published posts, so I can browse by tag and do more powerful searching.

2 Likes

I think what you described is already helpful. Thanks for sharing!

I guess for capturing the paragraphs that you copy/paste the content from the original content to Mars Edit?

Indeed, that’s a good way to refer back to previous posts. Nice.

Do you any particular workflow between iOS/you iPhone and your Mac. I read on some posts you use GoodReader, do you use other apps?

I mostly use the bookmarklet because that sets up the <blockquote> for me. But it doesn’t handle Twitter emoji, so sometimes I have to copy/paste. Or, if there’s formatting, I have a script to open the HTML source in BBEdit, and then I copy from there. Another script cleans up the HTML.

I use OmniFocus to mark links on the phone that I want to do something with on the Mac. I also use IFTTT to e-mail myself any tweets that I favorite, so I can then search those by content to find things later. For “content” apps, I have been using Apple’s Files, Working Copy, Instapaper, Kindle, Readdle Documents, GoodReader, and Dropbox.

1 Like

Thank you very much Michael for sharing.
That’s interesting to read how you use your own tool :), and others.

A post was split to a new topic: EagleFiler and Expression Engine

@Michael_Tsai: I thought I had a post here about which libraries I have and what I use them for, but I can’t seem to find it. Would writing that up be helpful? I don’t think I do anything very complex.

Indeed you did have such a post.

Thanks. I’ll have to update that sometime, as I have a lot more libraries now, including Issues.

Thanks for the useful conversation. Who are looking for libraries this convo is very helpful for those, like me!