Possible to handle "Automatic On-Head Detection" for AirPods Max?

I have a pair of AirPods Max and while lovely it’s a bit annoying that every time I take the headphones on or off the microphone always switches to the AirPod’s instead of keeping my own decided source.

I made a script to set my preferred input source using ToothFairy and it works well (thanks for the list of example scripts!), but when the on-head detection kicks in the headphones don’t disconnect and just select another input source.

Would it be possible to detect these events and handle using ToothFairy? For now I have disabled the on-head detection and toggle manually, which works, but that extra big of magic is quite nice :sweat_smile:

Do you mean “off and on,” i.e. macOS changes the sound input back to the AirPods while they were Bluetooth-connected the entire time? If so, that’s something I’m working on addressing. Manually toggling so that they actually disconnect when you aren’t using them is the workaround I’d recommend for now.

Ah, trying to communicate in text after a full workday… hehe. Yes, exactly that!

Wohoo! :partying_face:

I think this is fixed in ToothFairy 2.8.

Does not work yet, every time I take the headphones on or off the microphone always switches to the AirPods Microphone. You got a script yourself to not select the Microphone as input device, which does not trigger, nor does the shell script trigger.

Thanks for the report. Does the icon show as filled but grayed out when you take the headphones off?

No, it shows as gray as I take off my headphone, but when I put it on again the color changes to white. So it does see when I take off and on the headphone.

Sounds like that part is working. I’ll look into fixing the microphone and scripts in the situation where you put the headphones back on.

Nice job! Works like a charm. Finally my mac doesn’t switch over to the microphone of my AirPods max. Thanks for solving this!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Microphone not selected on first connection

The fix is now available in ToothFairy 2.8.1.