Ready to give up on SpamSieve 3.0 and MacOS 14

I followed the instructions on “upgrading” to v3.0 and Mail has become unusably slow, I believe SpamSieve is trying to review every email in my Inboxes every time a new email comes in.

I’ve read in the Forum the advise to move read emails out of Inbox but this is too cumbersome for me.

It is understandable that when Apple makes a big change to the OS (i.e. getting rid of Mail plug-ins) that it can take a while to adjust, but it is offensive to be forced to pay for a new version of SpamSieve that works much worse than the old version.

Unless things improve dramatically I am going to have to stop using SpamSieve, which is sad because I’ve depended upon it for many years

I assume this is because you’ve added your inboxes to Filter spam messages in other mailboxes. Indeed, this can make Mail slow depending on what kind of Mac you have and if there are ten thousand or more messages in the inbox. But I want to emphasize that setting up inbox filtering in this way is a workaround for a Mail bug. It’s not necessary for most users. Did you verify (e.g. using the green flags) that you were affected by this bug before applying the workaround?

I would be interested to hear more about why this is cumbersome. The recommendation is not to archive all read e-mails as you read them. It’s that, say, if you have 10 years worth of mail in the inbox, you could move the oldest 9 years to a different mailbox. It’s more something that you do once, or perhaps once every few months depending on how much mail you receive and whether we find another resolution for the bug, not a task that you would have to add to your daily routine.

Obviously, it’s your choice how you want to organize your mail, but the bottom line is that if you make this adjustment you’ll have fast SpamSieve filtering, much like before.

The timing is unfortunate. The plan had been to ship SpamSieve 3 as a paid upgrade this summer. The Mail extension would be available as an option for those who wanted a simpler setup and were not affected by the limitations of extensions. In this situation, you would have had the option of paying to get all the new features and improvements or staying with your old version.

When Apple made the surprise change in June, removing support for Mail plug-ins, that changed things. We had thought there would be another year of plug-ins because Apple had not addressed any of the significant plug-in limitations/issues that developers had been reporting since Monterey. Anyway, at that point we had to postpone the release of SpamSieve 3 to focus on getting the extra extension stuff working as well as possible before Sonoma’s release. So there is actually more in the upgrade than originally planned.

The bottom line is that there was going to be a paid upgrade before the switch to Mail extensions either way, and either way we’ll be working to keep improving the app and making those improvements available as free updates for a number of years.

I described in another thread the background of this situation, some possible avenues for speeding it up in the future, and how it may help to report this issue to Apple.

While I’m investigating ways to optimize the inbox scanning, there is another way you could set things up if you don’t want to move old messages out of your inbox. You can set up a Mail rule that filters incoming messages with SpamSieve via AppleScript. This will filter them immediately as they arrive, without having to scan the inbox. To set this up:

1. Choose Settings… from the Mail menu and click the Rules button in the toolbar.
  2. Click the Add Rule button.
  3. Change the description to Move If SpamSieve Spam.
  4. Change the From pop-op menu to say Every Message.
  5. Change the Move Message pop-up menu to say Run AppleScript.
  6. Next to Run AppleScript, change the No Script Selected pop-up menu to say Move If SpamSieve Spam. (The script should be pre-installed if you had been using SpamSieve 2. It’s also available for download here.)
  7. Now click OK to close the rule and save your changes. Mail may ask if you want to apply the rule; click Don’t Apply.
  8. Make sure that the Training settings are set to use the the Junk mailbox.

Note that, unlike with the old plug-in based SpamSieve rule, with the script rule Mail will keep applying the rest of the rules even if the rule marks a message as spam. So it effectively acts last, and you may want to put it at the bottom of the rule list for efficiency and to make this clear. However, I doubt this would really be a problem in your situation because you wanted a way to filter messages that were left in the inbox, anyway.

Chiming in to say that this method of using the AppleScript works far better (for me) than the time-based polling exposed in SS3.0 settings. The polling always seems to give me a ‘stutter’ when working, so I had increased the polling duration to 300s. Using Mail’s rule and SS’s AppleScript seems to be smoother and not beholden to waiting ‘x’ seconds until the filtering begins.

I hope the OP has gotten things going–it’s a bit bumpy with the migration, but all is working pretty well for me now, so I encourage you to keep at it!

Good luck!
brad

1 Like

thank you Brad for your encouragement. I have not had the time to try to tackle the multi-step workaround suggested by the developer. The average consumer of SpamSieve is not going to have the patience or confidence/expertise to deal with scripts. They want something that “just works” as Apple as taught us to expect. I am hoping that SpamSieve will just work once the developer has a chance to study what Apple has changed in the OS. Otherwise I fear that SpamSieve will retain a much smaller customer base in the future

I just installed v3 to try out. Nothing I can see in the setup tells me to install a rule or an Apple Script, but here you are saying to do that. I’m confused.

The above post is a suggestion for a very particular customer situation. In general I do not recommend that users install rules or scripts.

I’m having the same problem and trying to install the “Move if SpamSieve Spam”. I can’t find that script and when I try to download it using the link in the directions above, it takes me to a different script and directions from 2021. Can you help me with that script please? Thanks in Advance, freddie.

The Apple Mail - Move If Spam script is available here (direct download link here), and it needs to be installed in the folder ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.mail in order to be available for use with a Mail rule.

I am the person who wrote the original post and am happy to say that SpamSieve 3.0.1 solved my problems.

I did not need to install any scripts, nor did I need to remove emails from my Inboxes to get the total mail under 5,000. One of my inboxes has over 100,000 emails and the spam processing appears to work fine. I am not noticing disturbing delays or hangs. Whew!

I appear to have lost the training from the prior version but as I identify spam it is getting better and better.

The feature wherein high scoring spam can be sent directly to Trash is especially helpful.

1 Like

You can continue to use the script if you want, but as of SpamSieve 3.0.2b1 filtering with the standard setup should be automatic and fast for everyone.

Cool! Can’t wait to try it! I actually stopped using the script-based filtering when I upgraded to Sonoma 14.1 and SS 3.01. I tried turning off all the ‘work-around’ options in SS (both the script-based and the time-based polling) when I made the updates in hopes that the SS Mail Extension and Sonoma Mail would begin communicating appropriately. No such luck for me.

I re-established the time-based polling when I turned on the new simpler setup in SS 3.0.1 for “Check Inboxes for messages not sent to Mail extension” and double-checked the “Select mailboxes to filter” section and all was working much smoother.

I’ll await the release of 3.0.2 and keep my fingers crossed that Apple takes care of that Radar at some point :crossed_fingers:

Thanks!