SpamSieve 3.0.2b3 Public Beta

Here’s a new beta version of SpamSieve. The changes are:

• Fixed a bug where SpamSieve would erroneously report an error about an inbox being too large when fast filtering was available.

If you have not installed a beta version of SpamSieve before, first click here to enter the beta key. Thereafter, you can just launch SpamSieve or choose Software Update from the SpamSieve menu to auto-install the beta. SpamSieve will also notify you about future betas automatically. You can click here to stop receiving in-app notifications of beta versions.

1 Like

Ummm… Something weird is happening after a Log prune operation completes(?). SS3.0.b3 gets stupid and will no longer filter. I can manually Train but it won’t trigger on its own. See the gaps between 4:31PM and 5:15PM and, again, between 6:08PM and 6:18PM in the attached screen shots. In both instances (as well as now), filtering has stalled. I even re-installed SS3.0.b3 but that didn’t change anything. Thank you.

Thanks for the report. This seems unlikely to be related to pruning. Does it filter if you click Filter Now? How many seconds is it set to wait between checks?

Thank you for responding, Michael.

Pressing the Filter Now button doesn’t seem to do anything. Same for Filter Messages. The interval is 5 seconds.

This is very new, unexpected behavior. I swear I didn’t have my hands on the buttons and knobs :disguised_face:

That is weird. Did you have messages selected in Mail when you chose Filter Messages?

Please click this link to enable some extra diagnostics. After relaunching Mail and SpamSieve, try Filter Now and then send me a diagnostic report.

Ummm… I didn’t know I was supposed to select messages first … :face_with_hand_over_mouth: my bad.

I’ve selected a relatively long range, pressed Filter Messages, and it’s churning thru them now. It successfully filtered (Yeah!!! :smile_cat:). Diagnostic report coming up.

Thanks for the report. The log shows that SpamSieve is repeatedly checking the inboxes for your iCloud and Google accounts and finding no unread messages in them. So it doesn’t think there’s anything new to filter.

Where are the messages that you were training as spam? It looks like maybe they had already been moved out of the Google inbox?

Nope. They are definitely in my All Inboxes until I dealt with them myself. That’s gotten way easier once you clued me on selecting a range, good with the bad, and pressed the Filter Messages button. SpamSieve then works its magic and separates the wheat from the chaff, leaving behind the good emails, unread.

It’s the automatic sweep (every 5 seconds, in this case) that’s no longer working. That behavior started out of the blue and I wasn’t messing with anything in either SpamSieve or MacOS Mail. I checked my All Inboxes because it showed quite a number of unread emails, and lo and behold, all of this crap was mixed in a few good emails. The crap didn’t go anywhere until I manually intervened.

This is very reminiscent of my original problem with the non-working Mail Extension. I am perfectly willing to believe that MacOS Mail is broken. It looks like Apple may have done a number on Sonoma. I’ve got a good work-around, at this point. For that, I thank you. :smiling_face:

Here’s another SS Diagnose Report. This time I’ve got 7 unread emails in my All Inboxes, some are crap, some are good.

I am having similar challenges with one of my Gmail accounts that it doesn’t automatically filter anymore when new emails come in. It was working before. Manually using “Filter Messages” work though. Very strange and can’t tell what the challenge is. I’ll wait until I get some junk mail and see if I can pull the diagnostic report.

Well, the issue is that the Mail extension is only intermittently working, and SpamSieve’s workaround is not finding any new messages in the inbox. So when the extension doesn’t send SpamSieve any new messages, that’s when you’re getting no filtering.

@mvdalton @Julio_Bouza Are you seeing this problem only with Gmail/Google mail accounts or also with other mail providers? I wonder if it’s due to an interaction between SpamSieve’s new fast filtering and the unusual way that Apple Mail stores Gmail messages on disk.

Is it only with the inbox or also when using Filter spam messages in other mailboxes?

You could try turning off fast filtering (click to disable/enable) and see whether that helps.

Only noticing it with 1 of the 2 gmail accounts and not a clue why :(. The other providers seem fine. The 1 gmail account is with the inbox even. I just sent you the logs. I do have Filter spam messages in other mailboxes enabled and selected on the Select Mailboxes to Filter. I’ll try monitoring now after disable/enabled fast filtering and see what it does.

It looks like the one where it’s working is the one where you have All Mail selected in the Select Mailboxes to Filter sheet. Is that right?

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you mean here. Could you rephrase this?

No luck with the fast filtering change. :frowning_face:

What I mean above is that I have multiple gmail accounts configured in Apple Mail. The automatic filtering seems to be working on one of them but not the other. Both are configured with the INBOX selected for “Filter spam message in other mailboxes:”. Hopefully that helps to tie it together with the logs I sent you.

Was there a previous version where it was working?

Right, but for one of the accounts (the one beginning with “Y”) it looks like you have both INBOX and All Mail selected, while for the others you only have INBOX selected. I wonder if that’s the difference. It’s possible that it’s not showing up this way for you in the user interface, but I can see in the preferences file that filtering is enabled for All Mail in that account.

I clicked once on your supplied disable/enable link and restarted Mail/SS. It didn’t appear to have an effect in that spam still hung around long after it arrived. I’m including screenshots of the relevant settings sheets so that you can see what I did.

I have only the one Gmail account and the one iCloud account. As far as I know, I don’t get any spam in the iCloud account as it rarely gets any traffic.

Question: Going forward, would it be more complete and, perhaps, more convenient for both of us to capture and send you SS Diagnostic Reports rather than screenshots?

I want to say if my relocation is accurate 2 versions prior to 3.0.2b3 was working correctly. The version before 3.0.21b3 is when I started noticing the challenges and then I just waited for a new version to see if it fixed it and that’s when b3 came out and no luck.

As far as “the one beginning with “Y”” having INBOX and All Mail interesting. When I pull the config, I see a checkbox on INBOX but not on All Mail and I want to say that a while back ago there was a checkbox for All Mail and I had selected that yet I don’t see anything at all with All Mail on mine email. Might be that eg?

Yes, please.

Yes, now SpamSieve excludes All Mail from filtering in the user interface because it’s normally not what people want. However, if you had selected it before that change, it may stay invisibly selected until the next time you make a change there.

I think I have the information I need to look into the issue, and I’ll contact you if I have more questions or have a new beta to test.

If it helps, I manually updated the com.c-command.SpamSieve.plist and added the All Mail to my email account under the for AppleMailOtherMailboxURLs and now is working. It doesn’t show on the UI the checkbox or even the All Mail value but is filtering.