"Train as Good" is not moving messages, too

Thanks. I think I know what’s causing this—I’m guessing that the problem is restricted to messages whose recipient addresses don’t match any of your account addresses. Please contact me via e-mail, and I’ll send you a beta version of SpamSieve to work around this problem.

(Also, in case anyone is finding this thread by search, I think it actually says “An error of type 8 occurred.”)

Sent

I did this at the end of creating a rule, so it did seem to apply to the selected mailbox for only the rule that I created. But perhaps not.

Got it.

Everything seemed correct here. Still not moving messages back to the Inbox. Could be the address thing you mentioned later in the thread. (There’s a discrepancy between my e-mail account address and the actual address I receive e-mail on.) Got the “type 8” error, so it is probably the e-mail address issue.

It’s confusing, but Mail actually applies all the rules after you edit one and click Apply.

OK, send me an e-mail, and I’ll send you the beta to work around this.

Mine neither
Since installing on a new laptop my messages also don’t move back to the inbox after clicking “Train as Good”
I’ve updated the settings under Message-Spamsieve-Change Settings

Please send me an e-mail, and I’ll send you a beta version that works around this issue.

I’m running into the same problem as everyone else, but it’s happening with both Train as Good and Train as Spam. Pressing either does not move the messages to their expected folder. I’m running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and SpamSieve 2.9.5. I’ve checked the SpamSieve log and it’s not showing any sort of entries from my manual ‘Mark as Spam’ attempts.

I found a applescript from snowleopard here on the forums and that moved the messages just fine.

Please send me an e-mail, and I’ll send you a beta version that works around this issue.

Me too…
Sadly, I’m suffering from the same thing. For some reason SpamSieve insists on sending messages from my other half to the spam box. Doesn’t go down well when she sees what’s happened!

Hope you’ll be able to fix it soon. Thanks for the good work.

Cheers,

Ol.

It sounds like you’re seeing a different issue. Please contact me via e-mail, and include the information described on this page.

re: the beta update
I “assume” if there is a beta update, then the problem is recognized and a fix is in the works and will be available soon.

I can tolerate training as good and manually moving from the spam folder to my inbox for now.

Is there any projected time frame when this beta fix will be pushed out in an update?

If it’s before the end of the year, I’ll just tolerate the problem. Otherwise I might want to shoot you an email for the beta.

Probably in December. However, there’s always the possibility that you’re seeing a different problem with the same apparent symptoms. So that’s why I recommend that everyone who is seeing this issue try the beta to make sure that it fixes it for them.

Michael,
Thank You for the beta version. It does indeed move mail from the Spam folder to the inbox when I “Train As Good”.

FYI, it does not necessarily move the mail to the proper inbox.

For example, my Inbox is set up with a Gmail acct, a Yahoo acct, and 5 pop accts. in that order. Today I found a good email to one of my POP accts in the Spam folder. I trained it as good, it disappeared from the Spam folder and showed up in the Gmail folder of my Inbox. I’m not sure, but I thought that in older versions, everything went back to it’s associated folder inbox.

I had thought that might have happened shortly after I installed the beta, but I passed it off as an error on my part, with a mental note to watch for it next time. Sure enough, it did.

Perhaps it sent the good mail to the first folder in the list? I’ll make a mental note pay closer attention to this next time if this is a concern on your part.

Thanks again.

If anything, the beta should be better at this. What happens is that SpamSieve tries to match the recipients of the messages against the e-mail addresses that you’ve configured for your accounts in Mail’s preferences. If there is no exact match, it uses the first account.

This is fixed in SpamSieve 2.9.6.

I am trying to use 2.9.6 with a new Mac mini running Mountain Lion. The Mail configuration was imported to the mini using Apple’s Migration Assistant. The “Train as Good” command is not moving the message out of the Junk box. I’ve quit Mail and told SpamSieve to install the plug-in, which it appears to do successfully.

Anything else I can try?

With the normal setup, SpamSieve uses the Spam mailbox. Have you set things up differently?

Also, which Junk mailbox is the message in? Is it the one “On My Mac” or on a server?

I set this up so many years ago, I’d forgotten what the “standard” setup was.

No, I don’t use a Spam folder. I use Mail’s Junk folder. My rule says to move to Junk where that is the parent folder of all the individual account Junk folders.

The message was on a server. Each server’s Junk/Spam folder has been selected using the menu Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Junk.

In theory, this is the same configuration as I used in Snow Leopard and Lion. This config was migrated from Snow Leopard. Everything else, such as smart folders, signatures, and rules all migrated fine. Perhaps something got broken in the move.

I recommend that you turn off Mail’s junk mail filter and set the SpamSieve rule to move the messages to a mailbox called Spam. That will probably fix the problem.

A post was split to a new topic: “Train as Good” doesn’t move messages to inbox on Monterey