V# simply refuses to work

I’ll give 'er a try. Stay tuned. But note that the ‘brian@’ accunt does not have an INBOX inside its Inbox but that account also receives spam messages that SS is not filtering.

OK, I just deleted the INBOX folder and am awaiting the next incoming spam message to see what happens. I did restart Apple Mail just to make sure the change ‘took’ and then asked SS to Filter Messages but it didn’t do anything with the several spams that were already in there.

Just got a new spam since my deletion. It was identical to several that I’ve been receiving lately from the same source and have asked SS to train as spam. SS did not tag it as spam and did not move it. The log still says "Can’t get mailbox “INBOX” of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”.

Sample spam, in blue, since a couple of hours or so ago, unfiltered, unmoved by SS.

Please open the Terminal app in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, enter this command:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailbox "INBOX" of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

and tell me what it shows. Also, what does this command show:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailboxs of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

?

Please open the Terminal app in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, enter this command:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailbox "INBOX" of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

and tell me what it shows.

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailbox “INBOX” of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

31:46: execution error: Mail got an error: Can’t get mailbox “INBOX” of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”. (-1728)

Also, what does this command show:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailboxs of account "blshaw @ pubbuds”’

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailboxs of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

31:39: execution error: Mail got an error: Can’t make mailboxs of account “blshaw @ pubbuds” into type specifier. (-1700)

Sorry, there was a typo. Please try the second one again with:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailboxes of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

Done

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailboxes of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

No change (yet). For the hell of it, I quit and restarted Mail, but no affect.

Done

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.
For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.
Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailboxes of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

Thanks. It looks like maybe you didn’t press Return after pasting that in? Or did it really not show any output?

Sorry Michael, I think you are correct that I didn’t press . I just did and here are the results which are nothing more than a couple of braces:

{}

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$

Here, also, is a screenshot of the latest log entries"

BTW, SS is no longer colorizing anything as suspected spam; it had been doing so even though it didn’t move anything.

Sorry Michael, I think you are correct that I didn’t press . I just did and here are the results which are nothing more than a couple of braces:

{}
Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$

Here, also, is a screenshot of the latest log entries"

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 06.47.24.jpeg

Could you check the Accounts section of Mail’s settings? I wonder whether maybe you have two different accounts both named blshaw @ pubbuds and one of them doesn’t have any mailboxes. If that’s the case, renaming the empty one to something else would probably help.

Are you referring to just this account, or all of them?

I don’t know how it got there, but there is one. It is ‘inactive’ though. I will delete it.

Dang, you know your stuff! As soon as I deleted the ‘inactive’ account, SS started moving a boatload of spam messages to trash. That was surely obscure!! Let me watch for a while and see if SS is working with respect to all the other accounts too. Stay tuned!

Would I be correct that the reason those inactive accounts did not hinder SS in the past is because prior versions used a plug in while v3 uses an extension?

Yes, with the plug-in Mail would just send SpamSieve the new messages to process, and it didn’t even know which account they were coming from. The Mail extension system is unfortunately not reliable at doing that, so we have to go the other way and have SpamSieve ask Mail which messages are new and need to be filtered. It asks Mail for accounts by name, and it turns out that some people have multiple accounts with the same name and so sometimes Mail will return the “wrong” one. There are some changes in SpamSieve 3.0.1 to detect this situation and give you a better error message.

Good morning Michael,

A quick update: everything seems to be working properly now so I want to thank you again for you excellent assistance in resolving my issue with SpamSieve.

On a completely unrelated matter having absolutely nothing to do with your app: since you are obviously intimately familiar with how Apple Mail works, might you have any insight into why Apple Mail has populated my mailboxes with all kinds of extraneous crap and might you be willing to offer some advice on how to clean it up?

For example (as shown in the attached screenshots), one of my accounts has two ’Sent’ mailboxes, both of which have messages in them. The messages are reasonably contemporary but not redundant between boxes. Also, there are two Deleted Messages boxes; why? There is a ‘blshaw @ pubbuds.com’ folder inside ‘blshaw @ pubbuds.com’ mailbox. The ‘Received’ folder inside the former is full of messages from 2016 and 2017; huh? There is also yet another blshaw @ pubbuds.com’ folder inside the Junk folder. There is nothing inside it but its ‘Received’ subfolder is full of the same 2016 and 2017 messages

This freakin’ mess is driving me nuts! I have other accounts that are similarly messed up. If you cannot assist - I certainly understand if you can’t since this has nothing to do with your application - I will post something on the Apple forum to see if someone there can explain all this.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

1 Like

My guess is that you have multiple Macs or other devices that have Mailbox Behaviors configured differently. In other words, they do not agree on which mailbox to use as the special Sent mailbox, Trash, etc. Or perhaps they disagree with your mail server’s Webmail (which might not be configurable). If you can get all the devices set up the same way, new messages should then start all going to the same places, and then you could move the old messages there, too, and get rid of the now-empty extra mailboxes.

Thank you sir!!! I’ll check all of that (yes, two Macs, two iPads 2 iPhones).

BTW, I just paid the fee for a family license.